Saturday, July 22, 2017

Battlestar Galactica starfighter combat using X-Wing rules

My friend Jim and I must be part of the extremely rare group of people on the planet who's very very first X-Wing: the Miniatures game battle was not in the Star Wars universe. We're probably the only ones ever to have their very first X-Wing game not only not be in the Star Wars universe, but in the original series mind you, not the new reboot, of the Battlestar Galactica universe.

You know, the really cheesy one from the late 70s starring Lorne Greene. It was cheesy back then when I was a kid, but I did not realize how cheesy it was until I recently saw it again. It is soooo bad, it's good.

I have plenty of Star Wars X-Wing miniatures mind you, but just wanted to change things up a bit.



I suspect also it's because over 30 years ago, for one reason or another, I never could get my hands on the FASA Battlestar Galactica starfighter game. It was from the same guys who did the Star Trek Starship Combat Game, which I loved, so perhaps this was my chance to get it out of my system.


But I digress. 

Jim and I are familiar with the flight path system as we've played Star Trek Attack Wing, and recently, Sails of Glory, before. 

Like I did with Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, I ordered some 3D Printed X-Wing sized ships (1/270) from Shapeways last year, and I only recently did a quick paint job on them in anticipation of my friend Jim coming over today.






I also copied the stats for the X-Wing fighter (Red Squadron) to the Colonial Viper, and the no-shields plain Tie Fighter for the Cylon Raider. I also used the stats for Wedge Antilles for Captain Apollo and an elite Tie fighter pilot for the Golden Command Centurion.

A quick and easy paint program to change the pictures, and voila, I got their stats cards and printed them out in colour.


In the original series, the Cylon raiders seemed easily destroyed, so it was easy for me to use the stats for the Tie Fighter, which seems equally flimsy with no shields. 

We had a simple 102 point each game facing off each other, and used a derelict space station in the middle as a navigation hazard. My 8 ships vs his 5.




We met in the middle, and my squad broke off in two to envelope the pesky humans..


On both the left





and the right,








 
On the left, my ships jammed up and it took awhile from all that dog fighting to get sorted out..



While on the right, there were lots of Crazy Ivan maneuvers on both sides, with accompanying stress on our engines, and somehow there was more space between us..



We twisted and turned, and at point blank sometimes, we let each other have it. Barrel rolls, evasives, etc.. Still, Jim's Colonial Vipers, using X-Wing stats, had shields, while my Cylon Raiders, like the Tie fighters, didn't, and the pounding I would get seemed harder than me just blowing down Jim's shields.








I tried to hammer time and time again Captain Apollo, but Jim managed to eke out adequate defence rolls every time.

On the right, I chased Captain Apollo.. to quote Khan from Star Trek, I chased him " round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames".. 

Okay, okay, maybe not that far... but I chased him so much so that the battle on the right, which started on my side, then flipped over and went full tilt on on the other side, toward Jim's side..







On the left, I took a gamble that one of Jim's wounded Vipers would bank left, but I guessed wrong and he banked right...



So, a chase on the left as well, and now both left and right, we both dogpiled on to Jim's side..

I finally lost my gold Command Centurion, when he was caught between two of the Vipers, while some of my other guys were still coming over to Jim's side of the map, trailing.






Both Jim and I had heroic saves on our green defensive dice, so even though casualties on both sides piled up, as you can see in my Cylon Raider cemetery off to the side..


neither side broke off the attack, as we both still did Crazy Ivans and opened up at point blank, sometimes not making a scratch..



Of the thirteen ships, only 3 were left at the end, 1 Cylon Raider, 1 Viper and Captain Apollo in his Viper. Jim's Captain Apollo's Viper took 2 damage and had 1 hull point left. One more hit, and he would be destroyed.  Jim rightfully thought Apollo was a goner..



However, it came down to at the end to the fact that Jim's Captain Apollo got to fire first as he was the best pilot on the board..

Sure enough, like something out of the TV show, the heroic son of Adama, Captain Apollo, fired the lucky shot that destroyed my last raider, allowing his and the other viper, badly damaged, to go home.





Very TV episodic, Jim..

 --

We also did a game 2, strictly Star Wars, and tried out the bigger ships, my Slave 1 vs the Millennial Falcon..

The battle was okay, but just 2 ships, however big, is not as fun as the 13 ship free-for-all we had just before.. though I did like using the Seismic Charges, for a win.





All in all, it was a good session and a good couple of centars, no matter how fecklegarb the day went for the frakkin' Toasters.


7 comments:

  1. So if I was flying the "Millenial" Falcon does that mean I should have got a victory trophy even though I lost? I think it is entitled to one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol.. It's the kid in you.. I'll leave that typo in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good time ! BTW, I like the BSG reboot, it rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love BG and this is the first I've ever seen them painted on the tabletop. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A well done walk through. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete