Friday, December 30, 2016

My workbench: Painting Stargate SG-1 Skullcap, Serpent Guard, Staff Cannon Jaffa troops

I found the original Stargate movie unappealing, but I very much liked the TV show Stargate SG-1 (and Stargate Atlantis) and have seen all 10 seasons. It kinda reminded me of the original Star Trek, at least in the early seasons, with its emphasis on exploring new worlds. The universe also reminded me of the Fringeworthy RPG from the 80s, the first interdimensional RPG complete with it's own stargate system. 

Accordingly in 2015, I painted Phoenix Miniatures' Stargate terrain (as you can see and vote on it on Coolmini)


http://www.coolminiornot.com/372239

I have now finally gotten around to the Jaffa troops, the army the Goa'uld System Lords employ to subjugate worlds and fight among themselves.

They are unique because of their energy staff weapons, and I would like to one day pit them against some dimensional foe.. I can see it now,  Jaffa Serpent Guards vs Star Wars Stormtroopers..







But first, I need to paint them.

I bought whatever packs Phoenix Miniatures had for sale off some guy from ebay.


These sculpts seemed a bit delicate, "skinny" and short for 25mm (and are not 28mm), but they are good enough I suppose. 

Serpent Guards, in case you never watched the show, are the guys in the big elaborate Egyptian-themed armour..




Jaffa Skullcaps are the guys with just, well, a metal helmet, as you can see with First Prime (retired) Bre'tac, below.



 The staff cannon is artillery



A First Prime is basically the commanding General of a System Lord's army, with a gold etching on his forehead, like you see above with Bre'tac.

An issue I encountered was what colour the troops are.. Gray, Aqua-Marine or Brown? Some episodes even have them in red (the Jaffa troops under the System Lord Sokar I believe)..



I suppose it makes sense they are in different colours,  since they are a feudal army commanded by different System Lords..

Since most of the episodes the Jaffa are in this dull metallic and gray combination, I went with that.

I based them using milliput, though I had to put the Jaffa Cannon one on a larger base.


As always, I worked on the eyes and face first on the skullcap troops, as if you don't get that right, don't bother continuing.





I painted some underlying black first where the chainmail is.



then painted the rest in metal..



However, the metal needed shading, so I put on some GW Drakenhof Nightshade and it seems to have worked.



The First Prime with the gold etching on his forehead



After that, I just flocked it. I was thinking to use a desert base, but most of the TV show was based on forest worlds (given it was filmed in BC Canada, which is very forestry), so I went with that.
 
Please feel free to vote on Coolmini, with 1 being the lowest, 10 the highest, and 5 good enough for table top play, here
http://www.coolminiornot.com/407950

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I never really got started on Stargate which is weird cause I love all things SciFi. Just never had the chance. Anyway, a belated Happy New Year to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You too. A belated Happy New Year to you as well.

    Try to catch some episodes as the series is popular and well-loved.

    ReplyDelete