Monday, October 24, 2016

My workbench: Assembling this Plastcraft "terrain" is a bit tricky but it pays off..

A while ago, I bought this cheap Plastcraft terrain, which is made of colourized foamboard of some type.


I decided to assemble it tonight after coming home from work. 

This is my first foamboard terrain, and I was a bit surprised when I opened up this kit to see that there were no instructions.


Seriously, no instructions? One has to go to their website to get them.



Anyways, I tried my best to follow them, but they seemed at times obscure.

Slowly but surely I started to build it..






Where it got messy for me was the back shed and the lean-to in front..

I seem to have been missing a piece in the back to complete the shed..


Undaunted, I just glued on some parts to hide the slots, and it seems to have worked. I used the corrugated roof for the side shed floor..


When I tried to build the front part of the shed, some of my foam snapped in two, so I improvised, making it look even more ramshackle than in the picture.. which turned out fine..

The gas pumps were okay, though I might have to dirty up the gray part..

All in all this took me 30-45 minutes.. Not bad. I just might get some more of this foamboard terrain.. though I caution everyone, its a bit fragile.


Addendum:

I painted some white in a splotchy fashion on the sign.. Looks fine to me..



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I buy the Plastcraft Games Stuff for WW2 and love it. I have looked at this kit a few times but have not yet bought it. Would it be easy to alter to allow access to place miniatures inside of the building?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob, I don't think it would be easy to alter it. If you see in the 4th picture, there are 3 inserts that run the gamut of the building. If you cut them out, it will weaken it. Moreover, there is horizontal roof that bends downward. I can't see not glueing that on top in order to allow inner placement of minis.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice pre-painted piece. A lot of companies seem to have jumped on the 'no instructions' bandwagon. But I guess if they make it clear that there is an online one available it shouldn't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it's not too hard, but still, how much cost savings are they having by not putting in one piece of paper. Maybe it's too look hip, cool and "plugged in."

    ReplyDelete