Saturday, August 27, 2016

My workbench: Part 1/ 2 Scratchbuilding/ Kitbashing mostly fantasy terrain (25-28mm)

I've been going to the dollar and craft store this week, browsing and picking up junk that I feel can be used for terrain. I am starting to get into the swing of Frostgrave, and am always looking to spice things up as once you've seen a ruined corner building, you've seen them all.

I enjoy kitbashing for some reason. I am often surprised as I start off with one idea, but then I add a little of this and a little of that, some trial and error and before you know it, I've finished with something completely different.

In this part 1, I will show how I put things together and in part 2, I will paint them up.


1. The Great Eye..


This idea made me laugh. I bought these styrofoam spheres the other day and didn't know what to do with them.. but it came to me all of a sudden last night walking home when the idea of Sauron came to me.. lidless and all seeing..

What if in the Frostgrave (or whatever fantasy I will play in the future), there is an eye monument.

First, I drew out the eye lid on the styrofoam ball..



Then, I cut out the top of a coke bottle to make a pedestal.




Then I put on some "tiles" using clay put into a template and glued them on to the base on this cookie-cutter template that I've used before.




I stuck the "eye" on top after it dried and then used milliput to make the iris and did my best to sculpt the inner eye..



I had the eye look up at the players when we play..

I put a comparison figure so you can see the size of this "monument."





For some reason, this monument pleases me the most and makes me chuckle when I see it. I hope my paint job in stone colour does a good job..


I haven't decided if I will put this on it's own base or not.

 

2. The Fantasy Hero of long ago..


I bought this Schleich model the other day I think for like $8 on special..



I cut it in half, which was a bit hard as the plastic was harder than I thought..


I mounted it on this cone styrofoam I bought after cutting it in half and using the bottom part..



I added clay tiles and also a plaque in green stuff and etched in fantastical writing.




It's a shame that I have to paint over the heraldry in a stone colour, but it is a monument after all.

I like it. Very fantasy-ish.

 3. The Broken Eagle..

  At the same time I bought the Schleich hero, I got this eagle.


I like the idea of weird LOS blockers and thought those statue wings will be good to block instead of the usual corner of a building..

I broke it off and added the top of the cone I didn't use for the fantasy hero statue as the base statue for the eagle..



I was too tired after tiling the eye and the fantasy hero to do it again, so I just put down some rough groundwork with milliput and clay. It helped to solidify the broken statue in place once it hardened. 


I also put in a plaque in fantastical writing..



I'll paint the statue grey of course and maybe put in sand on the base.

4. The Concentric Rings


This idea is more sci-fi or modern art type than fantasy, but it could work.

I bought this at a Psychic Fair last year as it's shape intrigues me. It's supposed to do something for you, but I can't remember what. It wasn't that expense; I think I bought it for under $10..


At the dollar store, I bought this 4 foot styrofoam thingie I think kids use to play in the water. For a $1 or 2, this thing can give me lots of kitbashing material. It looks like it could be a pedestal or a barrier, etc.



I cut out a top part.. 


and cut out trenches or lines so my whatever-it-is would fit .


I mounted it and added green stuff to hold it in place and then painted it a bit of primer for now.

I am okay with this one, but it's not as interesting as the others for some reason.



I haven't decided if I will put this on it's own base or not.

5. The Snake and Cat Ruin


For awhile now, I've had this large sabertooth tiger action figure that I bought somewhere in a bargain bin. Too big for 28mm play, but I now have a use for it as a statue figure head, which was always my original intention.


 I cut off it's head..


and pinned it with a wooden dowel to insert into a styrofoam ball..


Also bought for like $3 these snake rubbery toys..



I then combined the two into a ruin..




I had to spray those two pieces black before putting it on the styrofoam as something chemically happens to the foam if I spray paint it.. I'll hand prime the styrofoam later.

I did put some crazy glue on the ball though to make it look even more pockmarked.


So, I have a big cat and snake theme to start with, and lucky me, I found a Halloween cat mask this week at the dollar store for $2 to make into a building facade..





The dollar store had this kneepad foam I bought months ago, and now decided to use it by cutting out the outline of the "building facade."



I glued on the foam to the mask..

and made a little snake and cat ruin with part of a building facade for our gallant Frostgrave heroes to fight and hide.. Note that I left some room free between the two areas for easy movement.





6. The Raven Ruin..

I was starting to feel tired but kept going on. 

The dollar star is starting to stock up on Halloween stuff and I thought it's a great opportunity to buy lots of cheap skeletons and such for kit-bashing later on. 

I saw this Halloween Raven and had a thought and bought it for $2.


I sawed off the head and legs quickly and made a mini-ruin. This one is making me laugh and I look forward to having my Frostgrave minis fight between the legs of this bird "statue."



A closer shot of the Raven head "statue."


The rubble is positioned so minis can climb on top.

 

7. The Nose ruin..

On my seventh kitbash in 24 hours, I was starting to get tired and had energy for one more minor job. 

I saw this Halloween rubber mask for $3 and bought it. .


In a crazy thought, I cut out the nose and stuffed it with clay, and then mounted it on small board and put in two slabs of rubble. The rubble of course, is positioned so miniatures can climb on them.

I don't know how my buddies will react to fighting near the "nose" of a huge statue ruin, but for $3, you can't go wrong.  

Hey, of course the Frostgrave city has this.. like totally. :-)




I am tired..
  
Please see part 2 for the paintjob. Thanks. 


2 comments:

  1. Really interested to see what they all look like once you've painted them up. Very creative :)

    ReplyDelete