Friday, March 25, 2016

My workbench: Post-Apocalypsing children's toys for upcoming 28mm post-apoc battle

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to play a post-apoc battle, but the game's cardboard "terrain" is killing me..

My best post-apoc stuff to date (on Coolmini) is my bridge I scratch built once:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/287116


But I need more stuff so, I decided to make my own.

Yesterday, I bought a pack of kid's cars for $12.99.. Judging by the doors on the cars, they seem to be ballpark for 25-28mm play because minis mounted on bases have their height raised. A slightly bigger automobile is thus needed.  A lot of kid's cars are too small, but these are okay.



I chose 2 vehicles and removed their bottom part and windows (because blown out windows seem right in post apoc).




I also removed the tires but left the rims..


I mounted the terrain as I plan to make them modular.. LOS blockers and cover, that sort of thing..

I also filled the interior with junk.. once you blacken it out, it looks fine and appropriate for post-apoc..




Used a lighter to blow out the front part of this vehicle..



I then rusted them up using different rust washes.





The junk in the interior looks like ripped up/destroyed seats and such once painted black..






I added graffiti in a soft dirty brown as opposed to white paint as I wanted the graffiti to be dusted as well..

The graffiti had to be something someone in despair faced with living in post-apoc world would scrawl..

"God Help Us"

And Revelations 6:8 (I'm not a bible person and this is the only suitable verse I know that seems appropriate).

Revelations 6:8

 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.



I remembered at the last minute I have trash bits from Black Cat bases, so I added some in...


and I'm done and ready to add these to the battlefield, just in time..



 Please feel free to vote on this at Coolmini here, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest. Thanks.


4 comments: