Saturday, September 26, 2015

Changing a game mechanic in Space Infantry

I had some discussion on Boardgamegeek on the topic of the constant chit-pulling in Space Infantry, and it seems I'm not the only one annoyed by it.

In a recent session, I constantly had to chit-pull, put them back, chit-pull, etc, which was not to my liking. I suggested using playing cards, and others piped in they made their own fancy decks.



I went to the Dollar Store, and for $2, I bought two cheap packs, and separated out the Ace through 6, as well as the Joker cards (for the + and 0), and made up a card deck.

There are 20 counters in the game.. 3 sets of 1 through 6 and 1 "0" counter and 1 "+" counter.


This means that the chance of getting any number is 3/20, or 15%. Using 2 decks to get 6 rows, I kept the statistics the same. I now have, for intance, 6 aces or 1s, which means my odds of getting a "1" is 6/40, or the same 15%, provided every time in the game, I put the cards back.

For added measure, I added 4 shuffle cards. When played, I just shuffle the deck an extra time to simulate all the finger search and twirling one does in a bag full of chits you pick blindly. They do not count for anything else.



It should work out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment