1981 - GDW's Traveller
1982- TSR's Star Frontiers
1983- Flying Buffalo/Blade's Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes (MSPE)
1984- FASA Star Trek
The great system when I was a kid, though my friends played heavily TSR's Top Secret. We had a short lived Starfleet campaign, but I GMed all the way until 1991 a Merchant Campaign. Some of these were converted into Gurps later on.
|For the record, I created Stryker 3 years before the ST:NG's Will Riker (in 1984)|
We recorded all of our adventures in the Starfleet campaign through Captain's logs, which I discuss here.
Aah, but it was the merchant campaign, set in the Triangle, where the RPGing really took off for me.
1985- Victory Games' James Bond
1985- Steve Jackson Games's Gurps
Gurps was by far the best RPG system out there. From about 1987 to 1991 (sporadically from 1991 to 1993), that was the only system I played and converted many characters to it.
1987- West End Games' Star Wars
From 1999 to 2006, I GMed a PBEM (play by email) campaign with Jim for several years. It was a Dimensional Patrol campaign. I also did a WEG Star Wars one using the characters we rolled up in 1987.
Jim's WEG d6 Dimensional Patrolman character by PBeM:
These are the email headers I put a the top of every email post.
It was all over ten years ago, on November 16, 2006. Our RPG group, formed in 1980, finally ended in 2006. My friend Jim and I were the last one standing when I finally ended our 5-6 year experiment in PBeM (Play By Email) RPGing.
November 16, 2006 email:
The look on Craig's face when I introduced the "Silver Twist" for the first time, or when he spaced the Klingon everyone called "Whiskey" or when the NPC villain Soloman Kane stole his ship and stranded him on a jungle planet;
- The never ending battle Craig had to control his temper with respect to his merchant crew;
- The ongoing trust/don't trust banter between Craig and "El Papagayo" or between Craig and Akalzed, the Orion arms dealer.
The hilarious laughter from you, Craig, Skippy, and Caz when I took 20 minutes from the mission to list all of Kruger's crew's crimes in the FASA 3 team Doomsday device mission with you, Craig, Skippy and Caz at each other’s throats;
The final years-in-the-making face-off between Kruger, Kane and El Papagayo;
- The meeting between you and Kruger in Star Wars: Jedi Knight Lancer went over to the assigned ship and met one of Kruger's crew, McMahon, drunk and almost puking on your shoes while Kruger was across the docking bay.
- The anger and hurt the night all our Klingon and Romulan characters killed each other, or when the USS Excellence was destroyed (before being revived a year later), because a lesser GM both times, was at the helm;
The ad lib mission when I sent Douglas to the alt where Khan won the Eugenics War. (Remember being labeled an "ordinary"?);
- The look you and Craig exchanged when you crashed a Star Wars Imperial Officers Mess, only to be told that "Servants by the back door."
- The "Collector" mission.
All I can say was that it was fun, guys. Thanks to you both for the memories.
The Final Header: